I had the pleasure of guest-posting for my sweet friend, Jenn, back in March, when I shared about the importance of wives and moms being in the Word. I’m back on her blog again, now sharing how busy wives and moms can actually go about prioritizing time to be in the Word. I hope you find something here that is particularly helpful and practical for your stage of life!
A few months back, I wrote to you on the importance of wives and mamas making it a daily habit to be in communion with God through His Word and prayer. Far from being just a nice idea I want to point you towards, I find that, instead, this practice of a daily “quiet time” is positively crucial to the entire rest of my day and how it goes. When I start out my day with the Lord, I tend to be far happier, more patient with my children, less stressed when things get busy, and more in the present moment. I am better at discerning between proper priorities for my day and less-important pursuits. The story is far different, however, when I miss my time with the Lord! My guess is, the same would hold true for you, as well.
So by means of offering you some encouragement as to the very real possibilities you have to make daily time with the Lord a reality right away, even in the midst of your busy life, I want to share with you some practical ideas you can begin to implement today to add these spiritual disciplines to your daily walk. It really isn’t as hopeless a concept as you might think! Not all of these ideas will work well with your particular season of life right now, but I imagine you’ll find something that will.
- Get up a little earlier than your kiddos in order to spend time with the Lord. For me, having that time first thing in the morning makes a big difference for the rest of my day.
- Are you a nursing mama? Having to sit down and nurse is the perfect pause button in your day for you to get in some Bible or prayer time!
- Are you frequently up in the middle of the night with your child? Use this time to commune with the Father.
- Download a Bible app onto your phone! This way, you will literally be taking God’s Word with you wherever you go! Read it while in a waiting room, turn on the audio option and be read to while you are driving or even when you are taking a shower or cooking dinner or folding laundry. The possibilities here are endless! The YouVersion app is perfect for this.
- Have your quiet time while your little ones are napping.
- Keep your Bible in the bathroom! I know it sounds crazy, but if you intentionally add a little reading into every opportunity you get, you’ll get a lot more reading in than you think! For example, read while brushing your teeth! I do this all the time.
To read the rest of the tips, head on over to Jenn’s blog!